Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I Quick Ship certain products?
Yes, we have an expedite program for some HVAC & Industrial Products. Some items are excluded. There are (2) methods: The 24 hr expedite which is 35% of the net cost or $50.00 whichever is greater. The 48 hr which is 20% of the net cost or $50.00 whichever is greater.
- How much will freight be? Quote products with freight costs included?
We do not quote freight due to the different weights and packaging of our products.
- Can I get it sooner?
If you use the expedite program for some HVAC & Industrial Products. Some items are excluded.
- What are normal lead times?
The lead times varies with our products.
- Where are weights listed so I can quote shipping costs to my customer?
Currently, the weights for our various products are not listed except for some Industrial Products which are located online.
- Can I order from you?
Our customers can order directly from us. We have several distributors located in almost every state to assist other request.
- May I have a price?
We only quote our valued customers but you can contact our distributors for your pricing request.
- May I have a distributor for your product?
We have several Industrial and HVAC distributors located in different states.
- May I get shipping information on an order I placed with you?
You can call, email or fax your status request. You can also utilize our website to check the shipping status by entering the PO# and the ship to zip code.
- I priced hose kits from the web site, but could not send and order, why?
You can send us your orders by fax (704-922-9595) or email (email@example.com)
- Why doesn't Hays have Exclusive Reps.?
We have some Exclusive Reps but not in every state. There are some Exclusive Reps which are only exclusive for certain products such as hose kits or piping packages.
- If sizes over 2" are available in hose kits, why aren't they published?
Our larger hose kits and piping packages have more material and the cost frequently changes.
- What information do you need to quote a Hose Kit or Piping Package?
- We would need to know the following:
- What type of Hose Kit? Y-Ball, Inline, Deluxe, Manual, with or without an automatic temperature control valve (ATC)
- What type of Piping Package? 2 Way, 3 Way, Automatic, Manual, Flex or Hard Pipe etc.
- Sizes? Diameter and length of hoses needed
- GPMs(Flow rates)
- What is the warrantee period of Mesurflo valves containing the "F" size diaphragm and office?
There is a 1 year warranty on the body and a life time warranty on the orifice.
Complementary Products FAQs
- Does Hays have flame retardant hose?
Hays flexible hose is wrapped in a stainless steel braiding and has brass end fittings. The Hays hose is comparable to the competitor's hose currently available.
- What ATC suppliers do you use?
Hays currently uses Honeywell, TAC, Seimens, Elodrive, Belimo, JCI, and Caleffi ATCs.
- How do I wire this up? Which wire to where?
Refer to installation guide for each manufacturer.
- Why can't we replace actuator only on an Invensys valve? If the valve is out of warranty, must replace the complete "expensive" valve?
Actuators can be replaced separately, contact customer service for assistance.
- Can I substitute a locally available washer in the braided hose connection?
Yes, but doing so will void the warranty.
The washer used in the hose connection is a fiber washer. While a standard washer may fit in the assembly, it will void the warranty. Contact customer service for further assistance.
- How can I tell what the flow rate is in my valve?
Flow rate data is on the information label on the valve. In the event the label is not legible, use common flow measurement devices to determine flow.
- Is there a special tool to remove the nut for changing the diaphragm?
There is no special tool required for removing the nut on the valve body.
- How do I "set" a valve that is automatic? Is it adjustable?
Mesurflo valves are designed for one particular flow rate. The flow rate is not field adjustable.
- Can Hose Kits be used on Open and Closed Systems?
- Is there a right way to install the rubber disk?
Refer to pictures on the website and installation instructions. The rubber diaphragm ( disk ) is not directional, as long as it is mounted up or down, not sideways, it will function to design.
- Do you make a stainless steel valve?
Hays does offer a stainless steel valve. Contact customer service for further information.
- How does the DOFI work?
Page 5 of the 'Automatic Flow Control Valves' brochure explains the working of a DOFI.
Click here to go to the brochure. (PDF - 2.59KB)
- What is the comparable strength of the DOFI material to competitor's stainless steel?
See 'Gold Standard (PDF - 720KB)' brochure for details
- What is the difference between a Piping Package and a Hose Kit?
Piping packages and hose kits both share many common parts. The most significant difference between them is hose kits have a swivel end fitting and piping packages have a union fitting to aid in assembly.
- Will our valves work with refrigerants?
Hays Fluid Controls valves are designed to work with water and water glycol mixtures. At present we do not offer product to be used with refrigerants.
- What are the disadvantages of the competitor's valves? (comparison guide)
Hays Mesurflo valves are designed to the 'Gold Standard'.
The 'Gold Standard (PDF - 720KB)' brochure explains the advantages of Mesurflo as well as the disadvantages of the competitor's valves.
- Are Mesurflo's compatible with Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Hydroxide, Borates, Tetra, Sodium Salts, Decahydrate, Tolyltriazole, Sodium Salt Water?
Mesurflo is fully compatible with Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Hydroxide, Borates, and Tolyltriazole.
Mesurflo is NOT compatible with Sodium Salts, Decahydrates, Sodium Salt Water, Tetras, Chlorine, or Bromines.
- What is the effect of Boiler chemicals (alkalines, solvents) on Hays components?
Mesurflo is compatible with the majority of standard boiler chemicals. Contact customer service for specific chemical compatibility information.
- What is the thread type on the female swivel? Is it compatible with American straight thread?
The female swivel is British Pipe Thread, not compatible with American straight thread. An adapter is available to transition to American straight thread.
- What valve size fits a coil connection OD of 5/8", 7/8", 1-1/8", 1-3/8", and 1-5/8"?
½", ¾", 1", 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" respectively.
- How does the AFCV perform with modulating ATC valves? Is it still effective, required?
An AFCV is very effective when applied with modulating ATC valves. The AFCV will limit the flow to the design flow, allowing the modulation ATC valve to fully modulate flow up to FULL open.
- Can Hays valves be used in potable water systems?
No, Hays valves are not to be used in potable water systems.
- Are the components compatible with steam systems?
- Mesurflo's make noise, why does this happen?
In common applications, Mesurflo is much quieter than competitor's stainless steel valves.
- Are the valves compatible with Bromine and Chloride?
- Why are Mesurmeters better in Hose Kits than Circuit Setters?
The Mesurmeter takes advantage of a true venturi design, allowing more accurate flow measurement than the competitor's Circuit Setters.
- What valves do you have that match competitors that are specified for jobs?
Customer service will be able to assist you.
- Do different concentrations of Glycol/Water affect flow rates of Mesurflo's?
The Mesurflo valve is a constant mass flow device. To determine the volumetric flow rate of a fluid whose density is different from that of water it is only necessary to divide the flow rate in water by the ratio in densities of that fluid and water. The equation below expresses this relationship in mathematical form:
- is the volumetric flow rating of the Mesurflo
- is the density of water at the reference temperature
- is the density of the alternate fluid at the reference temperature
- is the resulting volumetric flow of the alternate fluid
- What function does the Mesurflo valve perform in a hydronic system?
The Mesurflo controls the flow rate at a pre-determined flow rate irrespective of the supply side pressure spikes in the system.
- What pipe sizes do Mesurflos accommodate?
Mesurflo valves work with standard pipe sizes ¼" thru 72".
- Over what differential pressure range does Mesurflo operate?
Mesurflo operates over a differential pressure range of 2 - 80 psi. At higher flow rates the operating range moves to 3-80psid.
- What material of construction are the housings of 2510, 2520 and 2513?
2510, 2520, and 2513 valve housings are made from UNS 36000.
- What material of construction are the housings of 2511 and 2521?
2511 and 2521 valve bodies are copper tube per ASTM B88-83a.
- What material of construction are the housings of 2514, 2516 & 2524?
The 2514, 2516, and 2524 valve housing are UNS 37700.
- What material of construction are the housings of 2512 & 2532?
The 2512 valve housing is HDPE. The 2532 is PVC.
- What material of construction are the 2560 & 2570?
The 2560 and 2570 valve housings are Carbon Steel per ASTM A53.
- Which Mesurflo valves can not accept PT valves?
The 2511, 2521, and 2513 valves will not accept PTs.
- Which valves are a combination of ball valve and Mesurflo?
The combinations valves are the 2514, 2516, 2519, 2518, and 2524.
- If you had a Mesurflo valve in your possession, how would you determine it's flow rate?
The flow rate is determined by the combination of the orifice plate and the rubber diaphragm. The orifice plate has a letter on it while the diaphragm has a colored indicator on one side. A matrix of the combinations with corresponding flow rates can be made available or please call the factory with the orifice plate letter and diaphragm color.
- Which valves incorporate multiple orifice plates?
The large, high flow valves have multiple orifice plates, specifically, the 2530, 2535, 2540, 2545, 2560, and 2570 valves.
- What is the accuracy range of Mesurflo?
The Mesurflo accuracy is ± 10% of the nominal flow rate. This is equivalent to +/- 5% heat transfer effectiveness.
- Can Mesurflo valves be mounted in any attitude?
Yes, the Mesurflo can be mounted in any orientation.
- Do Mesurflo valves require straight lengths of straight pipe upstream or down stream for proper operation?
- How can I check pressure drop?
Mesurflo is a constant flow rate device. The valve functions as a variable orifice, pressure drop across the valve is not constant. The valve is designed to maintain the design flow rate during system pressure fluctuations.
- What inlet and outlet pressure can I safely have on the Mesurflo valve. I know the psid is 2 - 80, however, what is safe working pressure? i.e. can I have 300# coming into the valve?
Mesurflo valve bodies are rated for 400-600psig WOG.
- Why do I need a gpm on a manual Hose Kit?
The flow rate will be used in sizing the correct components for the application.
- Do you have graphs that I can use to "prove" the gpm on my valve is correct? I know the psid is 2 - 80, but I must prove the gpm.
Mesurflo is a constant flow device that will provide design flow rate between 2 - 80 psid.
- How do I know the flow is really correct?
The most accurate method to determine flow rate would be to use standard flow measurement instrumentation on the system.
- Need Eng. data for delta p of Mesurflo valves for pump design.
During system design, estimate the Mesurflo pressure differential to be 2 psid.